Propylene Glycol – PG – USP 99.9% – [CAS #: 57-55-6]
A pharmaceutical-grade high-quality PG (Propylene Glycol). Also, it is called Methylethylene Glycol, or 1,2-Dihydroxypropane, or Propane-1,2-Diol (IUPAC Name).
Propylene Glycol comes in a viscous liquid form. It’s colourless, odourless, non-allergenic, and has a slightly bitter taste with a subtle mild sweetness.
Compared to vegetable glycerin, the viscosity of PG is lesser. Also, it is one of the main components of e-liquid products. It turns into vapour when heated to produce a light (less thick) vapour with a bit harsher throat hit to the user compared with glycerin. On the other hand, Propylene Glycol is a fantastic flavour solvent and carrier and is 4 to 6 times more potent flavour carrier than glycerin.
In General, hereunder are some of the PG common uses:
- An emulsifier in cosmetic and pharmaceutical creams
- A solvent in elixirs and other liquid medications
- Flavouring carrier, diluent, and solvent in electronic liquids industry
- Coupling agent and solvent in sunscreens, lotions, shampoos, shaving creams, etc.
- Humectant, preservative, and stabilizer in pet food, bakery goods, salad dressings, and other food flavourings
- A solvent for flavourings and dyes in toothpaste and mouthwashes
- Plasticizer for hair sprays, hand sanitizers, and moisturizing creams